collection Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst (S.M.A.K.), Ghent
Created by Suchan Kinoshita in 1997, Voorstelling is an installation incorporating performance and time-based media (both audio, video and dia). The work was purchased by S.M.A.K. in 1998 and displayed for the first time in the exhibition ‘De Opening’ in 1999, on the occasion of the museum’s opening. Recently, the museum once again exhibited the installation (Nov. 2005 – Jan. 2006) as a presentation (and case study) of the international research project ‘Inside Installations – Culture 2000’. Voorstelling is an installation composed of a complex space, numerous objects, time-based media and a performance. All these elements make the artwork complex. Its exhibition requires a suitable space and sufficient time. This work displays a cabin structure (of variable size) in which the objects are placed and the action is performed. The performance’s time sequence and procedure need to be carefully worked out in advance and its rendition demands a specific documentation.
Likewise, the reinstallation and conservation of Voorstelling require written guidelines and a detailed documentation that must consider the following aspects:
1. Registration of the materials used and the different conservation and treatment measures they require.
2. The possibilities of transportation and storage. The environmental parameters that are required to conserve the different types of objects.
3. The creation of guidelines for future installations and possible loan of the artwork.
4. The creation of detailed guidelines for future performances.
5. The artist’s participation.
3,6m x 5,22m x 14,149